Applying for Development Approval

 Pen and paper

Do I need to submit an Application for Planning Approval? How do I do that?

I've done this before:

If you’ve submitted an Application with us before, you might like to skip right to the Forms & Fees page which contains everything you need for submitting an Application.

First time here:

If this is your first experience with obtaining a Planning Approval, you will have a lot of questions. Don’t worry. Read on and we’ll guide you through the process step by step.

First: Check if you even require Planning Approval. As a general rule, developments usually require some form of Planning or Building Application. This Development Application Guide will help you decide if your project requires Planning Approval.

If you haven’t already, visit our ‘Town Planning Schemes' page for an overview of the rules.

Our free online mapping tool will help you find information about your property, including size and zoning.

Once you have established that you DO NEED to submit an Application for Planning Approval, read over this step-by-step guide which includes the 6-step Process your Application will go through prior to Approval.

This Flow Chart from the WA Department of Planning is also a handy reference.

I’m stuck!

Can’t find what you’re looking for? You might like to book an appointment with our Duty Planning Officer. Just phone our Customer Service Officers on 9724 0000 and they will schedule a time for you.

Related information

Planning Information Sheets collection

Subdivision applications

Information and application forms for subdivision approvals can be obtained by phoning 9724 0000 or alternatively from the Planning WA website. Subdivision approvals are determined by the Western Australian Planning Commission based on comments from the Shire of Dardanup and other referral authorities. For more information, this Subdivision Clearance Information Sheet may be of assistance as well as this page of our website about obtaining a subdivision clearance from the Shire of Dardanup.

State administrative tribunal

Individuals, organisations and Government agencies can apply to the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) to make decisions, settle disputes and review decisions.

Before SAT can make a decision, it needs to be given the power to hear a matter; this is called an enabling law.  SAT is empowered to make decisions for a range of enabling laws including more than 156 Acts, regulations, town planning schemes and by-laws.  To apply to SAT you must first identify the relevant enabling law.

Visit the SAT website.