Building Permits

Where do I get one?

The Shire of Dardanup is a Building Permit Issuing Authority.

That means it’s our job to ensure all building construction that occurs within our Shire boundaries complies with relevant laws and standards mostly set out in the Building Act 2011.

As part of our Building Permit Authority role we issue:

  • Building Permits
  • Demolition Permits
  • Occupancy Permits (including strata)
  • Approval Certificates (including strata)

So you’re in the right place.

Next comes, ‘What type of Building Permit do I need?’ There are two to choose from:

  • Certified Application (BA1 Form). Apply for this if you already have a Certificate of Design Compliance (BA3) for the work you wish to undertake, supplied by an independent building surveyor.
  • Uncertified Application (BA2 Form). Apply for this if you don’t have a Certificate of Design Compliance (BA 3) and you would like the Shire of Dardanup to issue you with one.

A Building Permit can not be issued without a corresponding Certificate of Design Compliance. The Certificate confirms a building’s design complies with the applicable building standards.

So you’re in the right place AND you know whether your Building Permit Application should be Certified or Uncertified.

Next comes ‘How do I apply for a Building Permit?’.

Please submit your completed application to Once you application has been entered, you will be contacted for payment and your application sent to Building or processing.

The Building Commission also provides useful information on building.