When does the rate year run and when will new rates be issued?

  • A rating year is the same as the financial year, 1 July to 30 June.
  • Rate notices can be issued any time after 1 July. However, the Shire typically issue rates in August with a due date in September. It is recommended if you haven’t received your rates notice by the middle of August you query this with the Rates team.

What do my rates pay for?

Rates are used to build and maintain roads, parks, gardens, beaches, recreation and sporting facilities and to operate other local community services.

How do I object to paying my rates?

An objection may be lodged where there is an error in the rate record with respect to:

  • The identity of the owner or occupier of any land; or
  • On the basis that the land or part of the land is not rateable.

An objection to the rate record must be made in writing and lodged with the Shire within 42 days of the date of issue of an annual or interim (not instalment) rate notice. This objection must identify the relevant land and set out fully in detail the grounds of the objection

Objections to your property’s valuation should be directed to Landgate within 60 days of your rate notice being issued. Call 9273 7373 or visit Landgate. See the reverse of your rate notice for more information.

Why have I received an interim rates account?

The Shire may be required to issue interim rates during the course of a financial year for various reasons.

Some of these reasons are because of a building completion, alteration, addition or demolition and/or a variation to land due to amalgamation or subdivision/strata titling, an error in valuation or rating of a property or subsequent revaluation of the property.


In accordance with Section 6.39 of the Local Government Act 1995, the Shire may amend the rate record for the current and/or five preceding financial year/s.

Can I remove my deceased spouse from my notice?

Unfortunately, the rating database must match the certificate of title.  If you have changed the ownership details with the title office, please advise the Shire immediately so we can correct our system.

Why do I pay rates when I don't use any Council facilities?

Every ratepayer uses one or more facilities provided by Council. The moment you drive out of your property onto a road you are using a Council facility. If you live outside of the town sites and have a rental property, then your tenant uses Council's facilities.

What happens if I change my address?

It is a property owner/s responsibility to inform the Shire in writing of any change in postal address. This change of address may be made by email at rates@dardanup.wa.gov.au or by post to PO Box 7016, EATON WA 6232.

Alternatively the change of address form may be completed online.

What if I have difficulty paying my rates?

If you are unable to meet one of the payment options stated on your annual notice then please Contact the Shire and make a Direct Debit Arrangement.

To make a Direct Debit Arrangement will need to complete the Form 24 Direct Debit Rates Payment Form available on this page of our website. Once completed then please send the form to the Shire by email at rates@dardanup.wa.gov.au or by post to PO Box 7016, EATON WA 6232 for consideration.

Please note any approved payment proposal will be subject to various terms and conditions, including a $42.00 arrangement fee and continued overdue interest accrual.

What is the overdue interest rate and how is it calculated?

Overdue interest will accrue daily at 11.00%pa, calculated on a daily simple interest basis, on all arrears, overdue rating balances and unpaid instalments until fully cleared. If interest is accruing then a payout amount should be obtained from the Shire’s Rating Department prior to making any payments. Interest accrued may be cleared in preference to overdue and arrears rating balances from any rate payments received. Overdue interest will not accrue if eligible to a full State Government rebate or deferral.

What are overdue rates and rates arrears?

Overdue Rates – Are where a payment option or an instalment is not paid by its due date. Overdue rates do not apply if eligible to a full State Government rebate.

Rate Arrears – Are any unpaid non-deferred rating balances from previous financial periods. All overdue and arrears rating balances will be subject to interest accrual and legal recovery proceedings where not eligible to a full State Government rebate. Each property owners is jointly and severally liable for overdue and arrears balances plus any legal recovery costs. All legal recovery costs will be charged to the property and will be payable in full along with the debt sought prior to ceasing recovery proceedings.

In accordance with sections 6.60 and 6.64 of the Local Government Act 1995 the Shire may garnish a property rental and/or after taking Court action may if rates or service charges remain unpaid for at least 3 years take possession of the property and (a) from time to time lease the land (b) sell the land (c) cause the land to be transferred to the Crown or (d) cause the land to be transferred to itself. All costs associated with these proceedings, including advertisement and marketing will be charged to the property and will be due and payable in full along with the debt sought prior to ceasing recovery proceedings.

NOTE: The Shire is not obligated or responsible to remove any legal recovery proceedings notation from a property owner/s Australian credit rating record.